Pistachio orchards love the Mediterranean climate of California, especially the Central Valley.
Paired with the great oranges and lemons, along with the rich flavor of caramelized onions, this “tapenade: makes a great replacement for fatty dips or as a topping for grilled fish or chicken. We love it at The Oaks with fresh, local Santa Barbara halibut–the mint and the fish create a pleasantly startling taste sensation!
- 1 cup pistachios, left whole and toasted
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, cut into small strips and lightly caramelized in the olive oil
- ½ cup minced celery, added to the onions toward the end of cooking
- Combine nuts with onion mixture and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine:
- 1 TBS orange juice concentrate
- 1 TB orange zest
- 1 TB fresh lemon juice
- 1 TB minced fresh mint
- 2 tsp. Garlic
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- Stir this mixture into the nuts and onions. This can be refrigerated, but the flavor is best if served at room temperature. If you want to use it a dip, with shrimp or vegetables, chop the nuts before adding. I like to leave them whole—they look like little jewels!
Yields approximately fifteen one- tablespoon servings, 50 calories each.