Many different varieties of figs grow in the Ojai Valley, just as they do in Greece and Turkey and Italy and… We have to wait until sometime in August, usually, for our harvest on the western side of The Oaks property, but when they come in, we can hardly wait for our first batch of Fresh Fig Salsa!
Burgers are a traditional food almost everywhere—we top ours with our fig salsa! The bright flavors make the taste of the burger pop, and it’s a much healthier take than a burger piled with fatty cheeses and mayonnaise.
- 2 ½ cups fresh California figs, diced
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup finely minced red onion
- ½ cup dried cranberries (raisins can be substituted)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced, or 2 tsp. dried red chili flakes
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. fined minced or grated fresh ginger
Combine salsa ingredients and chill for approximately two hours to meld flavors.