This is a featured recipe taken from The Biggest Loser Quick & Easy Cookbook by Chef Devin Alexander.
You can prolong the life of fresh herbs by finely chopping them, packing them into ice cube trays, then adding just enough water to freeze them. There are also little blocks of herbs that are popping up in grocery stores everywhere. You can use the basil cubes to create quick and easy pestos with virtually no effort.
- 1 tablespoon all-natural light sandwich spread (Spectrum Naturals Light Canola Mayo)
- 1 cube (3.5 grams) frozen basil, thawed (Dorot All-Natural Chopped Basil)
- 4 ounces 96% lean ground beef patty
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 ounce very thinly sliced almond mozzarella cheese (Lisanatti)
- 1 all-natural whole grain or whole wheat English muffin (Rudi’s Organic Bakery Whole Grain Wheat English Muffin), split
- Small handful of arugula leaves
- 1/4″-thick large tomato slice
- Preheat a grill to high.
- In a small bowl, stir the sandwich spread and basil until combined.
- Season both sides of the patty with salt. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium rare, or until desired doneness is reached. About 1 minute before the burger is done, add the cheese and melt for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, place the muffin halves on the grill away from the direct flame to warm them.
- Place the muffin bottom, cut side up, on a serving plate. Top it with the arugula, the burger, and then the tomato. Spread the pesto mayo evenly over the inside of the top of the English muffin and place it atop the burger. Serve immediately.
- Makes 1 serving
Per serving: 333 calories, 31 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates (3 g sugar), 10 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 513 mg sodium