This Recipe was created by Dr. Janet Brill, Nutritionist, Award-Winning Author and Go Red Spokesperson.
Delicious and satisfying, hummus whips up in minutes. Enjoy this Middle Eastern staple as a dip for a tray of fresh summer veggies or as a tasty filling or “binder” for a veggie-packed whole grain sandwich. It simply doesn’t get much more nutritious than this. Made from high fiber and protein legumes (chickpeas), this recipe also gives you an extra vitamin and antioxidant boost from the peppers, garlic, EVOO and lemon. Hummus should be a staple in every health conscious person’s diet.
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large basil leaves, chopped
- In a blender or food processor mix the red pepper strips, chickpeas, water, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, and basil until smooth.
- Use either jarred, or Roasted Red Pepper Strips. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours for the best flavor.
Per 1/4 cup:
Fat: 10 g (0 g EPA, 0 g DHA, < 1 g ALA)
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 243 mg
Carbohydrate: 11 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: < 1 g
Protein: 4 g