Makes 4 servings
- ¼ cup well-rinsed, drained, and finely diced white part of leek (see note)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 (4-ounce) wild king salmon fillets, skinned and boned
- 16 fresh shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems discarded, caps quartered
- 20 assorted-color grape tomatoes, halved
- Leek Garnish (recipe follows), optional
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Combine the leeks, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the parsley, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the salmon fillets and toss until well coated.
- Fit a wire rack into a rimmed baking sheet. Place the salmon on the rack and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly opaque inside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and about ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Sauté until lightly caramelized to bring out what Jim describes as “the umami flavor” (or savoriness). Remove the pan from the heat.
- If desired, for each serving, place a salmon fillet on top of a portion of Pesto Green Beans (recipe follows) in the center of the plate. Spoon the tomatoes and mushrooms around the beans. If desired, arrange a few strands of leek garnish on top of each salmon fillet. Serve warm.
Note: To clean a leek, cut off and discard the dark green leaves just at the place where the light green starts, about an inch above the white part. Trim off the roots, then make a lengthwise cut from the top down almost through the bottom. Rinse the leek thoroughly under cold water, separating the leaves to make sure to get any dirt that may be hiding between them. Drain well and prepare as instructed.
1. Simmer ¼ cup finely julienned white part of leek in a saucepan with ½ cup vegetable stock until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
Nutritional Information per Serving, (Serving Size: 1 piece):
Calories: 180 Sodium: 320mg Sugars: 0g Cholesterol: 55mg
Saturated Fat: 1.5g Fiber: 0g Protein: 24g Carbohydrate: 1g