‘Move over Popeye and make room for the “queen of greens,” kale. Gaining in popularity, kale is an amazing vegetable being recognized for its exceptional nutrient richness, health benefits, and delicious flavor. Eating a variety of natural, unprocessed vegetables can do wonders for your health, but choosing super-nutritious kale on a regular basis may provide significant health benefits, including cancer protection and lowered cholesterol.’ – WebMD archive
- 4 kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tea salt
- 1 red bell pepper, juliened
- 1 tablespoon raw pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon sliced black olives
- Dash black pepper
- Stack 4 of the kale leaves with thick middle rib removed.
- Fold in half lengthwise and roll tightly. Slice crosswise into very thin strips.
- Chop the strips crosswise a few times, so they aren’t too long.
- Place in a mixing bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Massage well with your hands, working the dressing into the greens.
- Add the red bell pepper, pine nuts, and olives and toss gently.
- Let it stand at room temperature before serving. Season to taste with black pepper.