Gourmet chef Gerard Viverito, Director of Culinary Education for the public education project Passionfish, describes his halibut and beet salad dish as a simple fish recipe that promises to deliver great taste and huge flavor. As described by Viverito, “everyone can cook like a gourmet chef with a little practice and have a healthier heart for a lifetime.” This is made with a healthy new oil, Red Palm Fruit Oil. This oil is loaded with anti-oxidants, and one of the best sources of Vitamin E. Also Malaysian red palm fruit oil is great for high heat searing, due to a high smoking point.
This recipe courtesy of Chef Gerard Viverito CEC, CHE
- 5 large vine-ripened tomatoes or 1 can if out of season
- 2/3 cup Malaysian Red Palm Oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Gray salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 halibut fillets, @ 5 ounces each
- Core the tomatoes, chop, place in a blender, and puree. Strain through a sieve into a bowl. You should have about 2 1/2 cups puree.
- Heat 1 Tbs of the palm oil in a non-reactive medium saucepan until hot. Add the garlic and sauté briefly until golden.
- Add the puree, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discard the solids. Repeat boiling/simmering cycle twice more until it is as thick as cream, about 15 minutes total cooking time. Be sure to lower the heat as the mixture thickens to prevent scorching. You should have about 1/4 cup of very smooth tomato juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and taste for salt and pepper. Coat the glass bottle with palm oil and the funnel before straining tomatoes so they don’t stick.
- Cool and strain the tomato juice into the bottle. Add palm oil – mixture should be half palm oil and half tomato. Shake gently.
Raw Beet Salad
- 3 small raw beets, trimmed and peeled
- 1/4 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Agave Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the beets on the julienne blade of a mandoline, or grate them on a box grater if you don’t have a mandoline.
- Combine the beets, orange zest and shallots in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, Agave, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine.
- Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbs of Malaysia Red Palm Oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Put presentation side of the fish (non-skin side) in pan first as it gets the best caramelization. Cook until golden on the first side, about 3 minutes.
- When you see it getting opaque around the edges, give it another minute and flip sides. Cook another minute on other side.
- Remove from pan and plate over beet salad, spoon dressing around the plate.