As the nights start to get cooler one thing I always crave is mashed potatoes. Overall mashed potatoes aren’t a bad choice, but they can add a significant amount of carbohydrates and fat. This blend of potatoes and cauliflower is meant to be family friendly and there is a good chance, they might not even notice the healthy swaps. Even better, you can cut the amount of carbs in half, while not sacrificing taste or texture.
- 1 Head cauliflower
- 2 Large white (russet) potatoes
- 2 T Unsweetened almond milk
- 2 T Brewers yeast (optional)
- 1/2 t Minced garlic
- 1/8 t Vegetable or chicken bouillon dissolved in a small amount of warm water (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 1/2 t Fresh or dry chives, chopped for garnish
- 3 T Ghee or vegan butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Clean and cut cauliflower and peeled potatoes into small, similar sized pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6-10 minutes, or until well done. Drain well and while still hot transfer to mixing bowl.
- In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower and potatoes with all ingredients and blend until smooth. Do not over blend or they become rubbery.
- Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of vegan butter or ghee.