This hearty soup can be used with red or the traditional white quinoa.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 ears of corn, remove kernels and place cobs into stock pot
- 1 diced large red pepper
- 1 diced large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced red potatoes with skin on, or peeled diced sweet potato
- 1 cup red quinoa or traditional quinoa, uncooked, Ancient Harvest
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels, fresh is better or frozen in a pinch
- 2 tablespoon sliced chives
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso, Cold Mountain brand
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice, Frontier Spice
- 1. In a large pot with water add bay leaves and corn cobs and boil for 15 minutes. Add peppers, onions, garlic and potatoes and continue to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add quinoa and cayenne, continue to cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn kernels and simmer 5 minutes.
- Whip in the miso, add chives, cilantro, adjust spices and serve.
This recipe was contributed by Chef John B. Nowakowski of Miami Beach Longevity Resort and Spa
Chef John has been the Executive Chef at the Regency Health Resort & Spa in Hallandale Beach, Florida since 1995. As a result The Regency Spa has become famous for it’s delicious healthy food along with successful weight loss and detox. He has written two famous cookbooks called Vegetarian Magic and is currently finishing up his third book with more exciting new recipes and he will also endeavor into wild caught fish specialties. Prior to that Chef John enjoyed an illustrious career as an Executive Chef with Marriott Hotels & Resorts division.
In addition, Chef John and his partner Lance Cohen have created VegMagic Food. You can receive these Organic Vegetarian delicacies right to your doorstep by calling 954-439-0761. He will be glad to answer any questions you may have about health and lifestyle.