Need to take a dessert to your holiday get-together? Rethink baking that same old recipe and try something fresh, delicious and healthier than the traditional. This recipe from Lake Austin Spa Resort was created by Chef Terry Conlan. Originally featured in FRESH: Healthy Cooking and Living from Lake Austin Spa Resort By Chef Terry Conlan
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup egg substitute
- 2 (2 1/2ounce) jars prunes baby food
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, blotted dry
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Mix the whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, egg substitute, prunes, canola oil, buttermilk, orange juice concentrate and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Fold in the zucchini, cranberries, walnuts, orange zest and lemon zest.
- Spray two 5 x 9 inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the batter between the pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Glaze with lemon icing. (Recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Combine the confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and juice in a bowl; whisk until smooth and sugar is completely dissolved. Spoon over the top of the cake.
Yield: 16 servings
Nutrients Per Serving:
Cal 134 Prot 3 g
Carbo 25 g
Fat 3 g
18% Cal from Fat
Sod 145 mg