When it comes time for entertaining, it is always nice to try something that your guests have never eaten before. This egg-free souffle’ is a wonderful dish for a holiday meal. Did you know that the sweet potato has a lower glycemic level than a white potato? It seems like white potatoes always need to have butter, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste great. The baked sweet potato needs no accompaniments to enjoy. You may want to put a sprinkle of cinnamon over your sweet potato. Cinnamon also has a positive effect on your blood sugar levels. We have used baked sweet potatoes in this recipe in order to get more of a caramelized flavor.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup rice milk, almond milk or soy milk, heated
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup Earth Balance spread, softened, but not melted
- ½ cup organic raw sugar, Sucanat is one brand name
- 2/3 cup organic rolled oats
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans, optional
In a large bowl combine the oats, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the Earth Balance with a fork or dough cutter until the mixture resembles little crumbles. Fold in the pecans if desired.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add potatoes and cook 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare the topping.
- Mash the potatoes with the hot rice milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place in a 10x13inch casserole dish and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cover the potatoes with a generous layer of the topping and bake on the bottom rack of the oven until the topping is light brown and crispy. If there is topping leftover, place in a plastic bag, refrigerate and save for future use as a topping for fruit cobblers or this recipe.
This recipe was contributed by Chef John B. Nowakowski of Miami Beach Longevity Resort and Spa
Chef John has been the Executive Chef at the Regency Health Resort & Spa in Hallandale Beach, Florida since 1995. As a result The Regency Spa has become famous for it’s delicious healthy food along with successful weight loss and detox. He has written two famous cookbooks called Vegetarian Magic and is currently finishing up his third book with more exciting new recipes and he will also endeavor into wild caught fish specialties. Prior to that Chef John enjoyed an illustrious career as an Executive Chef with Marriott Hotels & Resorts division.
In addition, Chef John and his partner Lance Cohen have created VegMagic Food. You can receive these Organic Vegetarian delicacies right to your doorstep by calling 954-439-0761. He will be glad to answer any questions you may have about health and lifestyle.