This coffee cake makes a great centerpiece for your brunch. Made with whole-grains and berries –both good sources of disease-fighting antioxidants – it’s not only amazingly delicious, it’s incredibly good for you, too! Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh berries (or use frozen, unsweetened mixed berries, thawed and
- drained, about 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch round cake or springform pan or 9 x 9 square pan.
- Mix butter, oats, 1/4 cup flour and brown sugar in small bowl with fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. Set aside.
- Combine flours, sugar, oil, milk, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and egg in large bowl.
- Beat mixture with wire whip or mixer 1- 2 minutes, until well blended.
- Stir in mixed berries.
- Spread half of the batter in pan and sprinkle ½ of oat mixture on top.
- Add remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining oat mixture and chopped walnuts.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
More recipes available at www.fitwoman.com/recipes.htm