Everyone loves eggnog, but not everyone has been lucky enough to have had a homemade healthy eggnog recipe handed down to them from their family or friends.
We are pleased to present an eggnog recipe, compliments of Canyon Ranch, a wonderful complement to your Christmas and New Year’s celebrations.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups reduced fat milk 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine cornstarch, egg yolks and 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk with a wire whip until egg yolks are lemon colored.
- Combine milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and nutmeg in a medium sauce pan. Scald milk mixture, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add hot milk to egg mixture, whisking constantly, using wire whip. Pour back into sauce pan and continue to whisk 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and transfer to an ice bath. Add cinnamon and extracts.
- Cool completely.
Makes 4 (3/4cup) servings, each containing approximately:
170 calories; 24 gm. carbohydrate; 5 gm. fat; 152 mg. cholesterol; 7 gm. protein; 82 mg. sodium; Trace fiber