Chunky Roasted Fennel, Tomato, and Chickpea Soup is a satisfying meal on any night of the week. Serve with wedges of pita bread.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 2 cups soup and 4 pita wedges)
Total: 1 Hour
- 2 cups chopped fennel bulb (about 1 small bulb)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- Cooking spray
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1. Heat oven to 425°.
- 2. Arrange fennel and onion in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; toss to coat. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Add chickpeas to vegetable mixture. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until fennel is tender and chickpeas start to brown, stirring after 10 minutes.
- 3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable mixture, broth, and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and garnish with parsley. Serve with pita wedges.
Recipe by Wendy Kalen, Cooking Light