This incredible salad is also excellent served hot. This recipe redo is gluten-free and dairy free yet it offers all the amazing flavors you would desire in this classic Italian dish, simply redone a little healthier!
(For the Sauce)
- 3 quarts distilled or pure water
- One 12-ounce box whole wheat or gluten free angel hair rice pasta
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons brown rice syrup
- Dash of cayenne pepper, or 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, optional
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup soy sauce or rice parmesan (dairy free)
- 1 sprig basil for garnish
- Bring the water to a gentle boil, and cook pasta 4 to 6 minutes until al dente (tender but not soft).
- Remove and strain in a colander, rinse with cool running water, and set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, except soy parmesan, in a mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the drained pasta and add the tomato mixture.
- Fold in 3/4 of the soy parmesan and chill.
- Serve cold and garnish with a basil sprig and the remaining soy Parmesan.
Yield: 4 Servings
Protein 13 g
Fat 7 g
Carbohydrate 39 g
Fiber 2 g
Calcium 16 mg
Sodium 372 mg
Courtesy of The Regency Health Spa