“Light, lemony and super moist, these filled lemon cupcakes frosted with lemon-cream cheese icing are sure to please! Made from all gluten-free ingredients, they’re perfect for any holiday or special occasion. We sell out of these in hours at our gluten-free bakery! For the best taste, use organic ricotta and eggs! Check label to be sure lemon curd is gluten-free.” – healthycreations.com
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sucanat (crystallized sugar cane juice)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon oil
- 1/2 cup prepared lemon curd
- 14 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure lemon oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line 14 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift almond flour, gluten-free all-purpose baking flour, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Cream 1 cup butter with sucanat in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes; mix in ricotta cheese.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating each egg in thoroughly before adding the next one. Gradually beat in almond flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl often. Mix 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil into the batter until evenly blended.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cupcakes have risen and are very lightly golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Do not open oven doors until 25 minutes of baking time have elapsed.
- Allow cupcakes to cool thoroughly.
- Cut plugs out of the centers of the cupcakes and fill each hole with about 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon curd.
- Beat cream cheese and 1 cup butter in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer until smooth and creamy. Mix in confectioners’ sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil to make a smooth, spreadable frosting. Frost the filled cupcakes.
If you prefer to weigh your ingredients, use these measurements: 1/2 pound almond flour; 3.3 ounces gluten-free flour blend (see note below); 1/2 pound butter, 12.5 ounces sucanat for cupcakes. In frosting recipe, use 1/2 pound butter and 6 ounces confectioners’ sugar.
To make your own gluten-free all-purpose baking flour, combine 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1 tablespoon sweet rice flour, 1/4 cup tapioca starch, 6 tablespoons brown rice flour, and 1 tablespoon arrowroot. Use in place of prepared all-purpose baking flour.
This recipe is from an allrecipes.com contributor, healthycreations.com, a thriving gluten free bakery, cafe and meal assembly store in Encinitas, California. They’ve been baking and cooking organically forever! They use good quality ingredients and the rest is easy!