Individual Summer Berry Crisps
Makes 4 berry crisps
• ½ c. favorite gluten free flour (I like a mixture of amaranth, buckwheat and tapioca starch for this!)
• 1 t. ground cardamom
• ½ c. sugar
• ¾ c. combination of chopped pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
• ¾ c. ground Perky’s crunchy flax cereal
• 1/3 c. shortening (or approximately 6 T.)
• 18 oz. mixed berries (approximately 1 ½ c. blueberries and 1 ½ c. chopped strawberries), you can use fresh or frozen
• 1 t. tapioca starch
• 1 T. fresh lemon juice
• ¼ c. sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and place 4 1-cup ramekins on top. Set aside.
2. Put all the topping ingredients in a bowl and mix together with a pastry blender, the back of a fork or your hands. Mix until the shortening is evenly mixed through and the mixture feels a little sandy.
3. In another small bowl mix together the berry filling, gently tossing until everything is coated with the sugar.
4. Pour the berry mixture evenly into the 4 ramekins and top with ¼ c. of the crisp topping. (Save the remaining crisp mixture for another batch! Pop it in a baggie and throw it in the freezer, it will stay good for a few months.)
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the berry juices are bubbling and the crisp is just lightly browned on top. Cool 10 minutes and then serve warm!