“Quinoa is naturally gluten free, so it’s a great alternative to oatmeal. This slow cooker breakfast quinoa was much better than I ever expected! Slow cooking the quinoa allowed the sugars in the dates and apples to come out. I added no sugar at all to this slow cooker breakfast quinoa.”- Melissa King, My Whole Food Life
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup Nutiva hemp seeds
- 1 flax egg (I used a flax egg, but a real egg would work too.)
- 5 medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla beanor extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 T almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients, except the dates, in one bowl.
- Mix all wet in another.
- Add wet to dry.
- Fold in dates.
- Spoon batter onto a lined baking sheet
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
For a gluten free option, use gluten free oat flour and add an extra egg.