Living in Florida you get used to it being HOT…all the time! Sitting down and indulging in a big heavy meal just isn’t enjoyable in such hot temperatures. This light, flavorful and nutritious dish is perfect for this weekends brunch and the fresh ingredients give a great presentation if you’re entertaining guests.
- 1 chunky slice of wholemeal bread (buy uncut so you can cut it yourself)
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- salt and cracked black pepper, to serve
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- A small handful of fresh basil
- 1/2 clove garlic
- Toast the bread and rub one side lightly with half a clove of garlic
- Poach your egg
How to poach an egg: Fill a wide, shallow pan with water to two-thirds full. Heat the water to a gentle simmer and add 1-2 tsp of vinegar (any will do but white won’t effect the flavour) Crack an egg into a bowl. Create a barely simmering whirlpool in the pan then gently slide the egg into the middle of the whirlpool, swirl the water around in a circular motion to help the egg hold its shape. Cook on a low simmer for approximately 3 minutes. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and set down on a piece of kitchen paper to drain.
- Top the toast with sliced tomato, avocado and the poached egg. Sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper and top with fresh basil.
Credits: Photo and recipe by www.ladolceeater.com