If you are looking to add some southwestern flair to tonight’s menu, this recipe for Stuffed Red Peppers will do just the trick! Though this recipe requires quite a few ingredients, it’s not too difficult to prepare. The end result is both tasty and aesthetically pleasing–I always consider colorful plates as a good sign of a nutrient-rich meal. As an added bonus, this recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free.
Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Ingredients: (1 Serving)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if desired
- 3 large red bell peppers, seeds removed and cut vertically
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded colby jack cheese
Original recipe published on Ambitious Kitchen.
Monique is the face behind the healthy-eats blog Ambitious Kitchen. Her recipes are a creative and delicious take on eating fresh. For more from Monique and all things Ambitious Kitchen, connect with her on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.