Meal times are a great way to connect with your family over dinnertime conversations! Even more, preparing meals are a unique opportunity to get kids involved in a hands-on activity with a delicious reward. Little hands will have so much fun rolling the pizza dough into pinwheels! I particularly love this recipe because of it’s versatility. Feel free to customize this recipe to fit your diet: instead of using regular crust, swap it out for a gluten free option. Also, add in your favorite veggies and toppings to make a meal that’s kid-approved!
(Makes 12 4-inch pizza wheels)
- 1/2 recipe Basic Pizza Dough
- Easy marinara (recipe below)
- 4 ounces (113 grams) mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (10 grams) basil leaves, chopped
- Yellow cornmeal, for dipping
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup (36 grams) onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can peeled diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as basil, oregano and thyme (2 teaspoons dried)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
For detailed preparation instructions, visit Completely Delicious.