During my visit to the Shankara Ayurveda Spa at the Art of Living Retreat Center, I got to try something completely different. Chef Raju prepared for me this delightful spiced buttermilk drink. Heralded in India as a digestive aid it is a great addition to your lunch menu. Be sure to check out Chef Raju’s Chef Spotlight Page on Recipe Redo to see all of his recipes!
Masala Chaas (Spiced Buttermilk)
(Yields 5 glasses)
- 5 Cups Buttermilk (If wanting a vegan version try almond or coconut milk with an acid such as lemon juice, apple or rice vinegar. 1 T per cup)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp Cilantro seeds (optional)
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric powder (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Combine every ingredient except for the fresh cilantro into a blender and blend for a few seconds. Pour into glasses and garnish with the fresh cilantro.
- Chef Raju tips: Adding cilantro seed and turmeric powder can help prevent arthritis, heartburn, stomach pain and assist with digestion.
Watch the sun rise over endless mountaintops, rejuvenate with an Ayurvedic treatment at The Spa, or feel the quiet of a walk in the forest. The Retreat Center supports both community groups and and transformative solo travelers. This is a place to make all your own, and our staff is here to help you do just that.
Chef Raju’s Chef Spotlight Page on Recipe Redo.