Happy Weekend everybody! I discovered this easy breakfast by Chef Jen Welper to make for that lazy Sunday coming up. It is not only yummy, but gluten free as well. Enjoy!
Waffles are great as a sweet or savory breakfast in the morning. Unfortunately, a lot of people cannot indulge in them due to food allergies such as intolerance to gluten. However, this delicious recipe provides one gluten-free way to enjoy waffles.
3 ½ cup Rice flour
2 tsp. Kosher salt
½ cup Sugar
1 cup Ground flaxseed
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 T. Baking powder
5 each Eggs, separated
½ cup Egg substitute
3 cups Skim milk
½ cup Canola oil
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, separate the whole eggs (yolks and egg whites separate—egg whites in large metal mixing bowl). Using a hand-mixer, beat the egg whites until a stiff peak form.
- Combine the rest of the wet ingredients, including the egg yolks, and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, the batter should be a little lumpy (that is okay). Gently fold in the egg whites, in 2 separate batches, until just combined.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Add ½ cup of batter for each waffle. Allow waffle to cook as needed.
AMOUNT PER SERVING: recipe makes 16 large waffles, but serving size is ½ of waffle cut into quarters (2 quarters each)