Thank you Canyon Ranch for this beautifully healthy soup, its equally delicious as it is surprisingly filling.
- 8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia or imperial onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Maui onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped well-rinsed leeks, white part only
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup non-alcoholic champagne
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 18 sourdough croutons for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the garlic cloves on the sheet and bake until very soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a 4-quart stockpot. Add the Vidalia and Maui onions and slowly cook them until caramelized, or a golden brown in color, about 30 to 40 minutes. Add the leeks and scallions and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Add the roasted garlic and champagne and cook until almost dry. Add the stock, salt, and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add the chives and allow to cool slightly. Spoon the mixture into a blender and puree while adding the sour cream.
- Pour the puree back into the saucepan and reheat it to serving temperature. Garnish each serving with basil leaves and 3 sourdough croutons.
In place of toasted croutons, try making low carb parmesan crisps instead — they are tailor made for this bisque.