This yummy colorful salad is as easy as your ABC’s (ha ha.) It is light and refreshing, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you to Dr. Benjamin Maring, Kaiser Permanente Food for Health!
“Avocado, beets, and citrus are the key players in this salad. And, it’s almost as simple as ABC (you still have to roast the beets while you prepare the remaining ingredients). ABC Salad provides healthy fats, vitamin C, antioxidants, some fiber and stunning colors!”
- 3 medium, or 6 small, beets (a mix of colors is nice)
- 1 orange
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for the beets
- Handful to toasted, chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts)
- A few mint leaves, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Trim beets of their stems and stringy roots. Halve the larger beets. Wrap the beets tightly in an aluminum foil packet with a drizzle of olive oil and small pinches of salt and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- While the beets are in the oven, cut the peel and pith away from the orange and separate out the segments in a medium bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice into the bowl. Add the vinegar, remaining olive oil, nuts, and herbs.
- Let the beets cool down for a few minutes after removing them from the oven. Peel them with a paper towel, cut them into wedges, and add to the bowl.
- Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out small chunks of avocado with a spoon and add them to the bowl. Season everything to taste with salt and pepper.