On my quest to find healthy and wholesome foods, I love to try new veggies. This yummy fall salad features Kohlrabi – a knobby veggie shaped like a turnip. Kohlrabi is known to improve your digestive and immune system, encourage weight loss, strengthen bones and improve vision health, among many other benefits. So, how exactly do you prepare this superfood? You can eat it raw, steamed or baked. Today, we will prepare it raw and pair it with some lovely crisp September apples and Tarragon leaves. Let’s dive in! Happy Cooking and Enjoy!
Crispy Apple & Kohlrabi Salad
- 2 small kohlrabi (about 1 pound, I used the green variety but purple would be prettier), cut into matchsticks about ¼” wide
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple (about ½ pound), cored and cut into matchsticks about ¼” wide
- ⅓ cup grated gouda cheese (optional, not shown)
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds*
- Lemon zest, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon) and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For detailed preparation instructions, you can find the original recipe on Cookie + Kate. Love what you taste? Follow Cookie + Kate on social media for more wholesome recipes: Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
In her quest to “healthify” the nation, Debra K believes there are valuable stories needing to be told.
“We have to do something right now to empower and educate our older population to keep them healthy and in their homes for as long as possible. ‘Senior Moments’ will help older adults and their caretakers set a path toward wellness and stop the crisis we are heading toward as our older population pressures our healthcare system.” Debra K